REGIONAL: Teen arrested after murder of Manchester student



A teenager has been arrested after the murder of a  ‘bubbly, lively’ student in Manchester last week, October 26.

Police are said to have detained and are questioning a 19-year-old man after the stabbing of Luke O’Connor, 19, on Wilmslow Road, Manchester.

Read more: Luke O’Connor’s family pay tribute after stabbing

The suspect was detained in the Fallowfield area and police believe that Luke did not know the attacker prior to the murder.

Superintendent Helen Critchley, of our City of Manchester South district, said: “The arrest of a 19-year-old suspect on Friday night is an important step in our investigation which is moving at pace.

“Since the tragic killing of Luke our investigation team has made significant progress as we do all we can to get justice for Luke’s family who we are continuing to support at this devastating time.

“There are still a number of enquiries being conducted to establish what happened in the early hours of Wednesday, but what is clear is that this was a senseless and needless loss of a promising young life that has shocked our student community and we are doing all we can to support them, too.”

Extra officers have been patrolling the Fallowfield area this week and are continuing to listen and speak to students about their concerns in the city, as well as working closely with both universities.

The Major Incident Team have also been conducting a wide-range of thorough enquiries since Luke’s death to establish the circumstances and who is responsible.

Following the murder, Luke’s family paid tribute, they said: “Our hearts yearn for the loss of Luke; we are truly devastated by this tragedy.

“Luke was loved by so many people, and he knew how much he was loved in return.”

Luke was in his second year at university studying Business Management.

He was the youngest of three boys and was described as a “gentle giant” who dreamed big.

His family said: ” He loved the freedom of student living and studying and was loving life in Manchester.

“His biggest dream was to travel the world, but now Luke will never be able to fulfil that dream.

“Luke loved music, football and was a big supporter of Liverpool Football Club, who he followed religiously from a young age.

“He had a profound impact on so many people throughout his life.

“He was truly one of a kind, who’s presence would light up any room.

“Luke’s friends also adored him, as he adored them.

“They often called Luke a ‘Legend’ and ‘the life and soul’ of everything he did.

“Everyone who met him, truly loved him.

“Our lively, bubbly, beautiful boy has been taken from us and our family are now left with a hole in our hearts that will never be filled.

“Justice needs to be served as we have lost our beautiful young Luke, who was robbed of life.

“We will continue to honour his name for as long as we are all here, and his legacy with go on forever.”

Luke’s family have asked for privacy while they grieve for their loss.

Investigators are reported to not currently be looking for anyone else but continue to ask for any information or footage that has not yet been shared by calling 0161 856 6777 quoting incident 240 of 26/10/2022.

Images, mobile phone, dash-cam, or doorbell footage can also be submitted here: https://mipp.police.uk/operation/06GMP22E12-PO1

Information can also be shared anonymously via the independent charity – Crimestoppers – on 0800 555 111.

 

 





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *